COVID-19 Policy / Updates
Last updated: 30 July 2020
TechBrick COVID-19 policy in a nutshell:
- Wear a Mask!
- Wash your hands often, and avoid physical contant
- Stay home if you are feeling sick.
- Don't gather in large (>10) groups.
- If you get positive COVID test, please tell your lead mentor so we can talk to other parents who need to know.
- When you come to a meeting or any other TechBrick gathering, please report first to your mentor so that your attendance can be properly recorded.
- Sorry, until conditions improve, eating and drinking indoors will be prohibited in TechBrick spaces.
Policies in more detail:
What is a TechBrick space? Anywhere we are meeting to conduct TechBrick sessions in person: This could include our main facility on APG, MD, or in temporary / shared places such as a mentor's house for a FLL meeting, or a community center.
- All Adults (those 18 years of age or older) must wear a mask at all times while indoors in TechBrick spaces. No exceptions: This includes all TechBrick volunteers and mentors, all Parents and Guardians, any invited visitors / presentation givers, and anyone else over the age of 18 in TechBrick spaces. Failing to wear a mask will result in removal from TechBrick spaces. Adults who need to adjust their mask or briefly remove it to blow their nose or similar must first distance themselves by 10 feet or more, and wash / sanitize their hands afterwards.
- All students in the FIRST Tech Challenge / FIRST Robotics Competition must wear a mask at all times while indoors in TechBrick spaces. Students in these programs are expected to have the maturity and emotional development required to understand that wearing a mask is the best way to protect their fellow students. Failure to follow TecbBrick mask policies will result in a consultation with the parent/guardian. Multiple failures to wear a mask will result in the student being removed from the program. Students who need to adjust their mask or briefly remove it to blow their nose or similar must first distance themselves by 6 feet or more, and wash / sanitize their hands afterwards.
- All students in the FIRST Lego League series of programs are strongly encouraged to wear a mask while indoors in TechBrick spaces. For these younger students, wearing a mask starts at the top (you, the parent/guardian) - if they see you wearing a mask, they are more likely to accept wearing a mask themselves. While the youngest students in the FLL Discover program might struggle to wear masks, we expect very good mask discipline from our older FLL Challenge students.
- Note: If weather permits, some TechBrick sessions may be held outdoors, where there is more space to spread out and maintain physical distancing. In these situations, masks are strongly suggested, but may be lowered if the lead mentor on site has established strong physical separation, and the activity at hand does not lend itself to physically close interactions. Anytime students or mentors are interacting closer than 6 feet of separation, masks should be worn.
Wash your hands
- Immediately on entering a TechBrick space, please find a way to the nearest hand washing station and wash your hands. Please do your best to avoid touching items in a TechBrick space until after you wash your hands. This applies to everyone.
- Wash your hands thoroughly: If you are faster than 20 seconds, you likely need to be more thorough. Parents/Guardians: Please practice this at home with your children.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available throughout a TechBrick space. These hand sanitizing stations are NOT a substitute for washing your hands, however, may be used as desired during the evenings.
Stay home if you are feeling sick
- If you have any symptoms, please stay home!
- Temperature checks will be required for all individuals entering a TechBrick space. Temperature checks will be administered by a non-contact infrared forehead thermometer. Anyone with a temperature of 100F or higher will be asked to wait outside the building for a few minutes to see if it's a temporary effect of exertion. If a second reading still shows 100F or higher, you will be asked to go home. Any temperature of 103F or higher will be asked to go home or seek medical attention.
- Parents / Guardians dropping kids off: Do not leave the facility until after your child has passed their temperature check and has been admitted inside.
Don't gather in large groups
- No team or TechBrick activity is allowed to gather in groups larger than 10 individuals (mentors, volunteers, students inclusive).
- Groups larger than 10 individuals will be split up as appropriate (either separate nights, by sub teams, or other methods)
- During this pandemic, it is vital that we have good records to be able to assist authorities in performing contact tracing.
- If anyone in the immediate family of a parent, volunteer, student, or other individual associated with TechBrick receives a positive COVID-19 test, please immediately contact the program lead mentor, and also firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If TechBrick is informed of any positive COVID-19 tests, we will immediately reach out to any potentially affected parents/guardians.
- Contact tracing cannot be performed without good attendance records. When you arrive at the facility, and after you have washed your hands, please make sure that you have registered your presence with the lead mentor.
- No food inside TechBrick facilities at this time. Because eating involves lowering your mask, we are placing a temporary limit on all indoor activities that involve food consumption.
- No drink inside TechBrick facilities at this time.
- Consumption of water is permitted, however, the individual must physically distance themselves at least 6 or preferably 10 feet prior to lowering their mask to drink water.
- All activities occurring inside Aberdeen Proving Ground (e.g., our normal meeting location on Adle Road) must conform to current policies set in place by the Commanding General of Aberdeen Proving Ground, and by Army Research Laboratory, which are subject to change over time. Should any of these imposed measures prove more stringent than the ones listed on this webpage, we will update this page as appropriate.
For TechBrick Mentors / Volunteers:
The following sections are intended for Mentors / Volunteers
Lead by Example
- Mentors / Volunteers are expected to lead by example.
- Prior to leaving the facility, high touch surfaces (e.g., doorknobs) must be disinfected.